About the role
You should definitely have:
- Excellent English written language skills.
- A methodical, analytical approach to problem solving with attention to detail.
- The ability to make good judgment calls in varying circumstances.
- A calm and professional yet decisive approach when dealing with abusers of our platform or with upset or threatening complainants. The ability to say “no” firmly when needed.
- The ability to work well under pressure, and manage time effectively.
- The ability to keep protected information confidential and to be trustworthy and reliable.
- Some IT/Ops experience or training (recognize malware and combat or avoid it); computer literate enough so can work with developers/engineers in creating effective Abuse tools.
- The ability to not take the complainants’ or users’ negativity and anger to heart.
- The ability to grasp legal concepts and apply them in specific cases.
- The skills to adapt to a constantly changing work environment.
It would be useful if you had:
- Any legal experience, especially with Cyberlaw.
- Any computer programming knowledge or experience
- Prior experience in Online Compliance
- Higher education in law, economics, finance or another area relevant for compliance.
Your responsibilities might include:
- Replying via email to: complaints from vendors and members of the public and law enforcement entities reporting abuse using Yola’s platform; users whose sites or accounts have been disabled; customers with GDPR or CCPA queries or demands; account or domain ownership disputes; ensuring that unauthorized people seeking to gain access to Yola accounts or find out account specific information which is private and protected, are not successful.
- Responding to subpoenas with data collection requests and set time limits.
- Shutting down child abuse and underage porn sites and reporting these to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
- Proactive “search and destroy” of sites and accounts which infringe on Yola’s terms or are illegal.
- Making yourself familiar with new developments and requirements of applicable Cyberlaw and working to ensure that Yola fully complies with the same.
- Participating in Slack channels (company online chatroom) to both assist and receive assistance from other support team members.
- Guiding the rest of the support team in proper procedures with respect to privacy and compliance requirements and working to ensure that these are not violated in the process of providing customer support.
- Working with the Payments team to deal with fraud perpetrated by abusers of our platform. Working with the Payments team in discerning what information to share when the person making enquiries payment method was used, but that person is not listed as the Yola account owner.
- Making a judgment call on what information to share when the domain owner is contacting Yola but is not listed as the Yola account owner.
- Responding when there are ownership disputes such as after a messy divorce or partnership break-up.
- Responding to requests when a prior employee was the site creator and/or account owner.
- Providing security tips when a user has been hacked.
- Dealing with AUP mailbox suspensions by OpenSRS.
- Assisting in developing documentation and processes related to abuse and privacy compliance.